Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Our Last Chihuahua, gone...

I flew to Seattle on July 11th, 2007 to stay with my parents & then help my mom drive down to Utah with nephews, Rocky & Riley. While preparing to leave, I kept having feelings of anxiety & even as I was packing to leave for the airport, I became very teary & told Lynn I didn't want to go. I felt I was supposed to be at home for my family & was having feelings that something was going to happen in my absence. Lynn gave me a blessing of comfort and said that any situation that would arise in my absence would be taken care of. I felt comforted, but still had feelings of wanting to stay home.
We stayed busy in Seattle painting mobiles & driving around completing my mom's to do lists. Malisa and Ashlyn returned home from from girls camp on Saturday around noon. They called to say that our chihuahua, Jazmyn was very quiet and not her usual self. When they usually returned, she would jump from her chair & jump on their legs until they picked her up. She could even 'crawl up' their legs if they put their hand on the back of her neck. She just lay in her chair and wagged her tail. She had had something that resembled a seizure a few times over the past 9 months. She would fall down & whimper & a few times wet on the floor. When we found her, we patted her for about 10 minutes and she would be back to normal. Apparently, she had had another seizure & was not feeling well. She had a scared look in her eyes & kept looking to the kids for comfort. A few hours later, she was still not well so I asked for Maryn to put the phone by her. I talked to her for a minute or two & told her she was a good dog & I loved her & it was ok. The kids said she wagged her tail upon hearing my voice. As the kids went to bed that night, I spoke to Lynn & he said that she was not looking well. I gave him a few instructions on what to do to comfort her & said good night. I hung up and prayed that she would be comforted and know that we loved her. As I cried, I received the feeling that she would be gone in the morning and it was ok. I fell asleep knowing that she would go before morning. I received a call about 7:30 am from Lynn. He said he had brought her chair upstairs by our bed. When he looked at her chair, she had gotten down and went into the bathroom, likely to pee on the floor or get a drink out of the shower. She had fallen down in the doorway of the bathroom and passed away. He found her around 6:30 am (Sunday, July 15th, 2007) and she was gone, but still warm. He woke some of the kids and had them come in to say good-bye.
I wish I had been there to cuddle her & say a proper good-bye, but it was also what I feel was one of "God's tender mercies" that I wasn't there to see her suffer. I think I would have tried to prolong her life when she was obviously meant to go that night. Lynn was going to bury her in the backyard, but I called the vet which we had taken our other 'babies' to & they had an attendant there on Sunday. Lynn and Ashlyn wrapped her in the purple blanket that she loved and took her to the vet. The attendant was very tender with Jaz and treated her as if she was still alive. We had her paw print put into a ceramic ornament with her name on it.
It was hard to come home and see her empty chair and I know we'll miss her for a long time.

No comments: